Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





Wouldn't You Like to Get Away?


You know, making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away...?

Today, I'd like to talk about pubs. Not bars, not lounges, not tapas bistros, but your good old local pub where you can feel at home and have a nice pint.

Let me back it up a little. About a year ago, Mrs. Mentok and I rediscovered dating ... each other, I hasten to add. It used to be, for us as for most young couples, going out was a big deal, what with dealing with a sitter and all. But last year we realized that our oldest son had become old enough to be a free, built-in babysitter, so we've been whoopin' 'er up on the weekends ever since.

We quickly grew bored of various trendy bars and we could never feel comfortable at meat-market discos. Finally, we discovered O'Hanlon's and we've been weekend regulars ever since.

The place is a fairly authentic Irish-style pub, since it's run by a real Irishman, Niall O'Hanlon. You can tell he's Irish because he can't even spell his first name properly, stupid fucking Mic. Seriously, according to this bio, the guy is a professional, old-school barkeep and it shows in all the little touches and comforts the place offers.

The great thing about this place is the variety of entertainment. Their own online description says it best: "O'Hanlon's is a Pub. An Irish Pub, that is also a part-time music venue (Thursdays, Fridays), Dance Party Maker (Saturdays), and Trivia host (Sundays). Come have a pint!"

A big chunk of what both Mrs. Mentok and I write about on our respective blogs is inspired by our weekly adventures at O'Hanlons. Remember my essay, Tyranny of Hotties, where I talked about inappropriate touching by a comely waitress? O'Hanlon's. Remember me ragging out the younger generation for being too retro? O'Hanlon's. Mrs. Mentok's observations on our David Lynchian evening out, her entire date nights blog label, my thoughts on the vulture-like Rolling Stones stalkers. Yup, all O'Hanlon's.

The place is about as close to being cool as one can manage in a small centre like this. The stars of a locally-filmed sitcom hang out there. The crew of the local sound stage drink there, so whenever a movie is filming in town (which seems to be more and more often) the stars will often get all incognito and hang with the crew. Visiting big-name bands, such as the Barenaked Ladies, will often pop in for a pint if they have any down-time. All in all, the place has become THE place to go in our city, while still maintaining a comfortable, casual pub atmosphere.

I've become quite patriotic about this little pub of ours. To top it all off, Mrs. M got me an O'Hanlon's hoodie for my birthday. My eldest son claims I look slimmer and younger in it, so it's now become my favourite piece of clothing (even though I know he was just sucking up).

Now it's your turn, dear reader: Have you got a local? Is there some comfortable little place you love to go? Do you have any stories about a truly great bar, past or present?

posted by Mentok @ 10:34 a.m.,

12 Comments:

At 6:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't have any nice bars here. Not that I go to bars anyways. But if I did they would suck here. Or so I tell myself..

 
At 10:08 p.m., Blogger Library Mama said...

O'Hanlon's rocks!

 
At 9:47 a.m., Blogger Grumps said...

My couch. My TV. The happiest place in the world.

 
At 2:03 p.m., Blogger mjrc said...

when i was but a young thing, i sang a duet with a friend of mine in a contest at a bar called o'hooley's, and we won second prize. i still have the t-shirt. : )

 
At 2:11 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

happy - I doubt that's true, but it is true that going to the bars isn't for everyone.

...as demonstrated by our friend Grumps ;-)

library mama - you know it, babe!

mjrc - O'Hooley's...now that sounds like the name of a proper pub! May I ask what the song was?

 
At 7:26 p.m., Blogger mjrc said...

by all means. it was "deep river blues" by hall & oates. i'm not sure if i was hall or oates, tho.

o'hooley's was a great place. i used to drink harp and bass ale on tap. good times.

 
At 3:14 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Oh I really enjoyed this post, well done Mentok! And I could visualize you and Mrs. Mentok living it up with a pint while partaking in a trivia game...Where you all were in the lead of course.

I wouldn't really be able to say I have a connection as strong as that to any bar around here but there are a couple of favs one being the 49er which is right by my school that both my parents are alumni of, CSULB (The 49ers) So lame I know, but this bar is a great place that is long and skinny with a couple of pool tables in the back and sawdust on the floor. My dad actually would see Charles Bukowski there from time to time and then years later I celebrated St. Patty's Day with a friend and her father who was very friendly with the bar (also Reel Big Fish because Danny is the brother of my friend) so yeah that is my bar story.

Thanks for the memories ;)

 
At 10:42 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Wow, a bar visited by Charles Bukowski ... now that's hardcore!

In college, some friends and I used to play this game where we would try to converse as long as possible using only quotes from Barfly.

"Here's to all my FRIENDS!"

All in all, sounds like a very cool place.

 
At 11:09 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Also, Rachel, I regret to note that Mrs. M and I have never actually been to Sunday night trivia...much to our woe, because that's what Barenaked Ladies dropped in on.

Our favourite thing, believe or not, is Dance Party Saturdays ... but we don't dance, we're strictly disco voyeurs. (See Mrs. M's recent post for more on this.)

 
At 5:48 p.m., Blogger FiL said...

Oh my, bars...

When studying in Washington, DC, we used to visit a shitty little hole east of the Capitol building called the Tune Inn. It always had an odd mix of Congressional staffers, off-duty Marines, and general odd lowlifes. The jukebox had both kinds of music (country & western) and we always seemed to be able to drink an uproarious amount of questionable beer & liquor for only ten bucks.

In the UK we were blessed with pubs. I grew to know and frequent many in Cambridge, but particular favourites were the Cow & Calf (Sunday evening hearts games), the Cambridge Arms (great jukebox, and unfortunately the odd skinhead), and The Jolly Boatman (fine array of Greene King beers). After moving to London, my favourite became The Roebuck (conveniently located a block from home) and The King's Arms. This last one was child-friendly, so Darling Daughter & I would visit on Sundays for quality father-daughter time over a pint of beer (me), a glass of orange juice (her), and yummy, simple French food.

And Vancouver? Still looking for a decent watering hole, though the King's Head near work has a certain lowbrow charm.

 
At 6:06 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

The Horseshoe Bar, Glasgow. Right in the heart of the City Centre nera the main railway station.

I always take first-time visitors to the city to this establishment.

You see all walks of life in the Horseshoe - students, workies, bank managers, lawyers, pensioners, singles, couples, people having affairs, straights, homos and bi-s.

It's got music awards on display donated by 'Travis' as the upstairs lounge was where they used to rehearse. Football fans of all clubs in Glasgow drink there (a very rare thing indeed)

It has old fashioned Victorian decor, and, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the longest in the UK so almost everyone can stand - that's right - stand at the bar and talk. No jukebox...but there are TVs for sports programmes.

And the food is cheap'n'cheerful - three courses for around £4!!! But a lot of its is genuinely home-made and real tasty.

Here's what someone else said in a review:-

"If the 'down to earth' feel of the place puts people off then that's exactly the way almost every regular would like it.

Let's just say, you'll know if it's for you. And if it is you'll simply love it.

Indeed, much like a favourite old record, people just forget how good the Horseshoe is until they revisit it again after a spell away at more modern places.

And if you've never been, go. One quick drink, where its traditional look can give you the feel of being an extra in a Sherlock Holmes movie, will lead to you ordering another and another. You be glad you did!"

If you're ever in Glasgow, give me a shout. I'll buy the first round....

 
At 10:25 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Fil - jeezus, buddy, took your frickin' time, didn't you? ;-) I was hoping to hear your pub experiences when I wrote this piece. Well, it was worth the wait.

Your D.C. hole reminds me of a sort of speak-easy in Bismark N.D. It was an open bar (i.e. free) hosted by the local power companies, but you could only get in if you were a political type.

As for your UK pubs, hey you can't beat those authentic British pub names can you? Jealous!

JC - dammit, speaking of jealous, now I'm going to have to start scrimping the Air Miles for a trip to Glasgow. This sounds so much like my kinda place. I googled up some pictures and they did not disappoint. So one day I'll definitely be holding you to your promise of a round ;-)

And, not only to JC, but to one and all of you, dear readers, if you ever find yourself on the frozen steppes of Western Canada, you can count on me for a round of whatever you're drinking to warm you up down at O'Hanlons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home