Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





Winter of Our Discontent

You know what I hate about Canadian winters?

It's not the cold. OK, yeah, it is the cold, who am I kidding. But it's been relatively mild so far this year so that hasn't been so bad for a change.

This year, it's the lack of sun that's really getting me down. I've just figured out that, in the last 72 hours, I've experienced exactly 45 minutes of daylight (being careful not to describe that cloud-hazed glow as "sunlight"). Basically, the 15 minutes I spend driving to work in the morning is the only part of my day that's not in darkness.

And I've got another two months left to go of this vampire existence before it starts to get significantly better.

I can't handle it. I'm going to have to brave the cold and start going out for lunch more often. Even just a few more minutes of the sun's rays would help keep my Birdman powers going.

posted by Mentok @ 2:32 p.m.,

8 Comments:

At 3:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would do me in, for sure. i hate this time of year as it is--and look how much farther south i am than you!

i wonder if depression rates are higher the further away from the equator you get . . .

p.s. the canadian political storm actually got some coverage on the our news yesterday--must mean it's really bad up there!

 
At 7:56 a.m., Blogger Natsthename said...

I don't mind it so much, as I am a "night person" (VAMPIRE?), but I hate the bitter cold and the lack of humidity in the house.

Is this why there's Molson and Labatt's, etc? See the amber glow....(really, though, depression often leads to alcoholism.)

 
At 9:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking every second day for more than a year in all weather, even as cold as -20C (-29C with the wind chill) has changed my attitude about winter. I no longer fear it, I embrace it. I'm even thinking about getting some x-country skis.

 
At 9:48 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Marcy - re. depression rates, considering suicide rates are higher in Scandinavia, I'd say that's a good bet.

Wow, we made the US news? Good, now things can calm down. I think we were just doing it for attention, really. (there certainly wasn't any other point to it.)

Nat - no I think that "amber glow" to which you refer is what's known as real beer... as opposed to tap water with a teaspoonful of distillers' alcohol mixed in. ;-)

toontom - oh, screw off you keener! ;-)
Next you're going to be telling us how you had to walk up hill both ways.

 
At 3:00 p.m., Blogger FiL said...

Dearest Mentok, neither Molsons nor Labatt's have anything to do with "real beer." May I gently suggest you should have held up instead such shining examples as Alexander Keiths, Granville Island, Tree Brewing etc.

As for the sunlight thang, don't you have tanning salons in SK?? ;-p

 
At 4:52 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Jaysus, man, first the bison and saskatoon sausage, now this ode to the glories of Canadian microbreweries. Are you fearing extradition or something?

But I totally agree with you. I haven't touched the big-brand beers for ages (although Keith's, arguably, is now a big brand).

Still, no matter how you cut it, Canadian watery lifeless commercialized beer is way better than American watery lifeless commercialized beer. Everyone knows that.

 
At 8:41 a.m., Blogger Natsthename said...

American watery lifeless commercialized beer.

Ahem. We also have small, craft brews, dear residents of the north. I would suggest Shipyard, from Maine! (I just couldn't think of any micros from Canada right off the top of my head.)

College kids keep the cheap, commercialized guys in business, with their kegs and their red cups. When they age and get wiser, they seek the real stuff. :-)

Too many micros are being bought by the big companies, though, and it really irks me. How can I be a snob when AB owns the brew?

 
At 6:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of micro-breweries, my husband has been making beer at home and it's actually pretty tasty! he's made three batches in the past year and each one is better than the last.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home