Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





Who's Your Daddy?


Long time readers will recall that I invest a lot in my kids' birthday parties. We do elaborate theme parties that include kooky invitations, unconventional activities, customized take-home items and, of course, me dressed up in a costume making a fool out of myself. Some of our great themes of the past have included super-hero party, spy party, pirate, cowboy and Harry Potter.

But, of course, there comes a point when you can't do themes anymore. My oldest boy turned 13 this year and naturally a kiddie-style theme party was not going to be tolerated. He just wanted to have some sort of dull get-together to "hang out" with his friends. I was pretty sad about that, so I begged him to let me try to adapt my birthday techniques in an age-appropriate way.

I landed on the idea of renting a convertible for the day. But not just any convertible: a white one. Then I figured we'd cruise around town with Trooper's Boys in the Bright White Sports Car blaring.

This turned out to be trickier than I thought. Local car rental places didn't have any white convertibles in stock. Everywhere I went, it seemed that red was the only accepted colour for convertibles. I had to do some hunting but by and by I found the vehicle I needed.

The result was spectacular. The guests came in as typical teenagers: shuffling, mopey, cynical, too cool to be impressed by anything. But two minutes out on the highway with the top down wore down their resistance. They were grinning, hooting, giggling and just generally having a great time.

"This is freaking awesome!" shouted one guest. I've still got the birthday party magic.

We took the guests in shifts and dropped them off in between at the party room of a local pool hall, where they were treated to unlimited pop and junk food - always the surest way to win over teenage boys.

Afterwards, their take-home item was a pack of Tag, one of those Axe-clone body sprays. Teen boys always seem to walk around in a cloud of that stuff, so I thought that was an age appropriate party favour.

In between it all, I think I managed to convince my oldest son that his dad is not totally uncool. While cruising around, I would occasionally honk at pretty girls, in keeping with the song. #1 Son and I would grin at each other with "Hope we don't get in trouble!" conspiratorial looks.

So one more birthday success all around. This time it really is going to be the last one for #1 Son.

But that's what I said last year....

Trooper - Boys in the Bright White Sports Car

posted by Mentok @ 8:45 a.m.,

5 Comments:

At 2:46 p.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


Haha very cool. But I personally like red better. You could have changed the song to "Wild Thing".

Hope Mrs. M wasn't jealous at all the honking at pretty girls that are like...way way under your age.

Should have bought cheap sunglasses for everyone to wear.

 
At 1:08 p.m., Blogger FiL said...

You da mack daddy!!

Hmm, I've got b'days for my two coming up soon. Must get thinking. Inspire me, Magical Mister Mentok...

 
At 1:23 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Hippo - dangit, you're right! Sunglasses would have been perfect. Oh well, I've got two more who'll probably request this theme when they turn 13.

Fil - Harry Potter themes offer many creative choices and would be very timely this summer. You'll recall I've already posted a party plan for that one.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, send me your kids ages and interests and I'd be happy to help you come up with a totally customized party plan.

 
At 7:26 a.m., Blogger Grumps said...

Mentok - everything about that is so cool except the part about Trooper.

 
At 10:34 a.m., Blogger cchang said...

Goodness! I'm incredibly impressed and awesome idea. I would have never thought of renting a convertible for the boy. You guys are great parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home