Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





It's Only Rock and Roll

This is rock and roll week at the Mentok household.

First, there was the Halloween shopping. I'm a big kid at heart, so Halloween preparation is always serious business for my boys and me. Ever since my #1 son has been old enough to walk, I've always participated in theme costumes with my boys. Past classics have included the Marx Brothers (Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Karl) and the male cast of Gilligan's Island.

This year there will be a bit of a sad note to Halloween. My #1 son, who's 12, is now too old and too cool to come out with us. They don't warn you enough about all these crushing heartbreaks when you start out as a parent.

But, my other two sons and I are cruising ahead with this year's KISS theme. After two hours of sifting through bargain shop / thrift store offerings, we managed to put together costumes that are a total bomb: leather jackets, platform shoes, studded neck chokers ... the works!

We plan to regale the neighbours with a Halloween medly of KISS tunes:

"You say you want to hear us sing,
Well give us candy and we'll begin
You drive us wild, we'll drive you crazy

I wanna trick or treat all night,
Eat candy every day
I wanna trick or treat all night,
Eat candy every day.....

Mom, I hear ya callin'
But we can't come home right now
Cause me and the boys're trick or treatin'
All night....

Halloween's begun and we want some fun,
Do you think we're going to find it?
You gotta give us treats or we'll trick you one
Do you need to be reminded?

Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud
Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud"

My #2 son, who has the talent for singing and has the longest tongue, gets the privilege of being Gene Simmons.

I can hardly wait.

In other rock news, regular readers of my wife's blog will know that we've got tickets to the Rolling Stones next weekend. I'm not a huge Stones fan; I frankly find the notion of sextogenarian rockers absurd. But, this is a small city so a big concert like this has made the whole city crap its collective pants in excitement. Since they're practically going to be shutting the city down for the concert anyway, I figured the party would be fun if nothing else. Besides, I got my tickets half-price.

So, while I still maintain this is not a mp3 blog, here's a few tunes related to this post.

Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night
Kiss - Beth
Kiss - Shout It Out Loud
Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

posted by Mentok @ 12:24 p.m.,

4 Comments:

At 8:38 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

hehe

Since when is 12 too old for the trick of the treats? He'll be back...

Great costume theme, you guys are going to kick some major rock and roll booty!

As for the Stones concert...Well I give them credit for rocking on and on but the only thing I am a fan of in regards to the Stones is this acrylic painting my dad did of Mick Jagger years ago.
But since our significant others have to tolerate all the music we love, I suppose it is only fair that we tolerate theirs. ;)

 
At 8:53 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Mrs. Mentok isn't a Stones fan either, which is why we didn't bother with tickets on the first pass.

But we both figured $100 CDN for primo seats at a major stadium show...hell, it hardly matters who's playing.

 
At 5:31 p.m., Blogger FiL said...

Y'know, I've never been to a stadium gig, and I'm quite proud of that. Gimme a hot, cramped shoebox of a club with sweat dripping from the ceiling anyday (or night).

Full kudos for the Kiss theme. I loved Kiss as a child, then discovered punk & abandoned them. However, a few years back I picked up a cheap CD copy of "Dressed To Kill" -first Kiss album I ever owned at age 8- and once again discovered their charm...

As for Halloween, we're being far more mundane. Kids want to be pirates, so Dearest Wife & I are going to suit up accordingly. Maybe next year I can convince everyone to go as The Ramones...

 
At 5:53 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Your musical tastes and mine have followed a similar progression. There was a time when I regarded KISS as the embodiment of everything that was crass and declasse about the '70s. But now I'm totally sucked in by their kitschy charm.

Pirates can be cool if you do it right. My rule with my boys is "We can do a theme everyone else is doing as long as we do it BETTER than everyone is doing it."

But it doesn't matter what you do as a parent, they'll always rebel. When we were out shopping, my oldest said he wanted to be Jason from Friday the 13th.

"Oh sure, son," I said, "Just head over there where they have a whole WALL of Jason costumes. Know why they have so many? Because every uncreative twit in the city is going as Jason!"

But he just rolled his eyes and sneered at me. Whaddaya gonna do? Sniff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home