Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





Evidence

Thought some of you might like a peek at the cowboy party.

(I have a policy against showing identifiable pictures of kids on the internet, hence the eye blackouts.)

That was, um, one of our more interesting parties.

I was on the whole very pleased with the production values of the stage set. I didn't get the swinging saloon doors I'd been shooting for, but a few hay bales, wanted posters and red gingham tablecloths went a long way to set the mood.

Notice in the background my two older sons. At this moment, #2 is playing a passed out drunk and #1 is the piano player. However, their main roles in the production were as the nefarious birthday-present stealin' outlaws. A few minutes after this picture was taken, they leapt to their feet, hootin' and hollerin, cap guns a-blazin'.

Well, that was a bit of strategic miscalculation. Our little drama proved too convincing for our six year-old-guests. A couple of kids started to cry from fright. The entire production was in danger of tanking. It took a took a solid ten minutes of improvised comedy by Mrs. Mentok and me to get things back on track.

Things did turn around and a great time was had by all. As usual the take-homes were a great hit. Today we're seeing some of the neighbourhood kids riding their broomstick horses up and down the street.

I, on the other hand, have a round of well-deserved 'I told you so's coming. Mrs. M, a primary teacher, warned me that cap guns would be too alarming for kids that age. I dug in my heels because the cap gun noise made things more dramatic. As usual, shoulda listened to her!

That's a picture of her in her saloon girl costume helping out with some riding lessons.

Good times, but very exhausting!

posted by Mentok @ 2:31 p.m.,

16 Comments:

At 8:57 p.m., Blogger mkecurler said...

The party looks pretty darn good. If I had children, I'd be in so much trouble! the parties would rock just like yours! I stopped having theme parties when I got married. Maybe I should take it up again. Glad to see you are feeling better.
Hubby is going to Toronto in Nov. He SAYS he's planning to pick up Corner Gas for me :)

 
At 11:09 p.m., Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Mentok,
She looks fabulous in her saloon girl costume & she's my friend!

I thought it was a wonderful thing to do for your kids and what's a party or wedding without kiddy tears?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

 
At 12:53 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Sweet!!! Looks great!
The tears were long forgotten about, a minor snag saved by two quick thinking parents. :)

I am glad you cowboy's had a good party. Wonderful memories for the book even without the swinging doors.

Now, to start thinking about the next one ;)

 
At 2:50 a.m., Blogger FiL said...

What fun! Well done all round, O Clan of Mentok!

Now be sure to post some Halloween pics - I want to see the Kiss getups!

 
At 12:19 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

sabatkes - you should definitely restart the theme parties. Aside from parenting, life offers no greater pleasure than theme parties.

susan - she does look great, doesn't she? That's my gal!
I know kiddy tears are not uncommon at events, but this was the first time ever we'd had to deal with tears at one of our kid parties, so we were pretty rattled. It all worked out though.

Rachel - oh, yes, we don't even wait until one party is over before the other boys start putting their orders in for the next party. It might be Harry Potter for the next one, which we've done before.

My main concern is coming up with a killer theme for a 13 year old party next spring. Last year, my oldest declared he wasn't going to do themes anymore, but he's started to soften now that I've suggested "Rock Star" party. Trouble is, I've only thought of one activity and I'm not even sure if its feasible - arranging for a roomful of electric guitars and drums and let the gang go at it for awhile. So let me know if anyone else has ideas.

FiL - thanks. Yes, we'll post KISS photos as long as the costumes work out well enough. I'm starting to worry about getting the hair just right. I'm wondering if I should hire a stylist to make sure it works.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Grumps said...

Thanks for explaining the bars. I first thought they were dollar store outlaw masks that were defective.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


Wow man...

I am attracted to your wife!

Haha please don't beat me up!

 
At 2:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i suggest ear plugs for the jam session?

at our parties, it's always my own child that cries! and for some reason, the oldest one especially never really appreciated it when we'd sing "it's my party and i'll cry if i want to . . ." while she wailed. (as you can see, we are perhaps not model parents!)

 
At 9:18 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Wow Hippo that was a ballsy thing to say...In fact I give you credit, goodluck. :P

 
At 10:09 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Grumps - the bars were only added for the children. With Mrs. M, as you know, that is her famous unibrow. (kidding honey!)

Hippo - you keep dreamin' there l'il buddy. How do you even know that's really a picture of her? I could be messing with your mind. Maybe it's actually me! Ooo-weee-ooo.

mjrc - ha ha! Singing that song is exactly what I'd do. Around our house, if anyone cries we all start doing that classic "daddy pants" bit from the Great Santini (which was parodied in Austin Powers).

Rachel - oh, you don't know Hippo too well. That's tame by his standards. The stories we could tell, eh Hippo?

 
At 6:26 a.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


I'm full of stories.

One day I plan on making a movie about this whole blog drama.

 
At 8:38 a.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


Or sing a catchy tune to the theme of matlock:

Dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun, Mentok's wife is hot! Dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun doo daa bee...

I gotta get back to school. I'll let your gay friend FiL finish the tune.

 
At 9:40 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Bad Hippo! Down boy!

 
At 9:52 p.m., Blogger FiL said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:29 a.m., Blogger FiL said...

Er, I don't do Matlock. TJ Hooker, maybe...

Goodness, the floor sure is slick with all that hippo drool. Better get someone to mop it all up, Mentok, before someone slips...

 
At 10:55 a.m., Blogger X said...

Were you originally thinking of a "Brokeback Party"?? Haha....kidding.

.....and of course, the "Rock Star Party", you gotta organize the after-party, aka the "groupies party" as well!!

Of course, kidding again...haha!! I'm just in a very silly mode here today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home