Site Network: Real News | HSX | Playaholics

 

How can we give you so much Mentokage at such low prices? VOLUME, VOLUME, VOLUME!

* --> New content today in Movie Reviews and Opinions!





I Hate The Olympics

I don't do too many serious posts, but this is such an inflammatory topic that maybe some will think I'm kidding. At least the comments about this topic should prove to be entertaining.

I think the Olympics is the most hypocritical, money-wasting, deceptive, manipulative and pointless institution yet developed by mankind.

Here are just a few of my reasons:

- Corruption. 'Nuff said. Too many stories of IOC corruption to count.

- Obsolete Pointless Sports. The Biatholon? Seriously. Skiiing and shooting paired up? Why should we care? How about pairing up all other sports with shooting: you do a high-jump, then shoot a target, you do a 100 metre dash, then shoot a target. They would all have as much of a point, which is none.

- Limit-of-Human-Capability Pointless Sports. Today I read a story about a luge competitor who came in second by a matter of 6/100ths of a second. You read stories like that all the time, especially with track and field sports. Hell, at that rate, why not just give them all a gold medal? The results could have been caused by wind conditions, faulty measurement or a flat out fluke. Here's a simple question: Is the human body's potential to run faster infinite? Obviously not. So it follows that at some point humans will never run any faster. It seems to me we're pretty much at that point.

- Unfair focus. Even if we concede that there's some mysterious reason why should care who in the world runs fastest, jumps highest, etc., is it even remotely fair to make that assessment on the basis of one event? Shouldn't we make those assessments on the basis of how an athlete performs at a whole circuit of competitive events? Sure, the Olympics is the most "prestigious" event, but isn't "prestigious" just another word for over-hyped?

- It's not amateur. The whole founding spirit of the modern Olympics was amateur sports. Today's elite athletes are not amateurs. This is their career. Case in point: Italy now pays gold medalists $150,000. Gee, that's not going to encourage cheating, is it?

- Elite Athletics is not a public or private good. It's not a healthy lifestyle. These people typically have no social lives, neglect their educations, their families and, with the increasing professionalism of these sports, they often do not hold down real jobs. They have high rates of injury and frequently develop chronic health problems (backs, knees, etc.) in later life. It's a type of obsessive-compulsive behaviour. Now, it's their lives, it they want to screw them up, that's their business. If some company wants to pay these freaks to perform in a public spectacle, like commercial professional sports, well, maybe that's a bit exploitive but that's the free enterprise system. But I fail to see why I should pay taxes for it. These people need treatment, not encouragement.

- Elite Athletics drains money from real health initiatives. How many community fitness centres could you build with all the money we waste on these freaks? Of course, the other theory goes that the athletes encourage public fitness by providing an inspiring example. Well, as per the above point, if healthy lifestyles are all about balance, these are absolutely the last people we should be setting up as examples.

So there's my rant.

posted by Mentok @ 1:22 p.m.,

9 Comments:

At 12:29 a.m., Blogger mkecurler said...

But it is the only time I can see curling on the TV down here! I'm trying to get the Dish Network to give me TSN!

 
At 11:07 p.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Yeah, OK, you caught me there. That is a good reason to have the Olympics around. It provides a showcase for some lesser-known sports that otherwise don't get as much attention as they deserve. Women's hockey would fall into this category as well.

 
At 5:06 a.m., Blogger A. B. Chairiet said...

Hmm. The Olympics...I think the world wanting to watch the Olympic games is the same as my wanting to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

It's always been there and it reminds me of my youth.

The Olympics began in our history's youth. Perhaps it's comforting to know that ever so often, we'll all gather together and make someone happy. I mean, paid endorsements and all that mess aside, you can't tell me there aren't kids out there who dream of winning that gold medal. Of being a REAL Olympic Athlete.

I want to be a real writer. I don't want to hold down a "real job" and I'll acquire a few health problems myself, from typing and staring at this God forsaken screen.

But who cares about the novel anymore?

I do. And some people still care about the Olympics. Expensive or not, it's tradition. Now don't make me sing Fiddler on the Roof for you...

God knows I will. ;)

But I don't watch them either, so whatever; nice job. Happy Tuesday,
~ Ash

 
At 8:18 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Yes, the Olympics are entertaining to watch and can be inspirational.

So is the Super Bowl, the Miss Universe Pageant, the Nobel Peace Prizes and a whole bunch of other events that I don't have to pay taxes to support.

You can't really compare the modern Olympics with the ancient ones. For one thing, the ancient Olympics were performed in the nude. I have been calling for this tradition to be honoured for the women's hockey and curling events, but do they listen to me? No.

 
At 1:45 p.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...



Womens naked curling?

I'd watch!

 
At 9:50 p.m., Blogger mkecurler said...

Hippo! If the team had boobs MAYBE!!!

Mentok- who will take gold? Your comments please

 
At 7:45 a.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...


Hey that American team had boobs.

I'm talking about the girl that said, "YEP!" ....."YEP!"

I think it was the only word she knew. I'd love to Yep Yep her awhile.

 
At 9:28 a.m., Blogger Mentok said...

Hippo, you've overlooked the best line about women's naked curling.

When the skip is all stretched out and yelling "Hurry hard! Hurry hard!"...that would blow your mind if it was naked women's curling.

 
At 5:47 p.m., Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...



It already did.


 

Post a Comment

<< Home